safeTALK is a half-day training developed and regulated by LivingWorks Education, Inc., that prepares anyone over the age of 15, regardless of prior experience or training, to become a suicide-alert helper. Suicide-alert people are better prepared to connect persons with thoughts of suicide with life-affirming help. Most people with thoughts of suicide don’t truly want to die, but are struggling with pain in their lives. Through their words and actions, they invite help to stay alive. safeTALK-trained helpers can recognize these invitations and take action by connecting them with life-saving intervention resources.
Over the course of their training, safeTALK participants will learn to:
Notice and respond to situations where suicide thoughts may be present,
Recognize that invitations for help are often overlooked,
Move beyond the common tendency to miss, dismiss, and avoid suicide,
Apply the TALK steps: Tell, Ask, Listen, KeepSafe, and
Know community resources and how to connect someone with thoughts of suicide to them for further suicide-safer help.
safeTALK Suicide Alertness Training (3½ hours)
Tuesday, November 24, 2020 | 5:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Halifax-Bedford | Bicentennial Room
980 Parkland Drive | Halifax, NS
Instructor: Elizabeth Eldridge
Registration deadline: Tuesday, November 17 at 5:00 p.m. (earlier if all 25 seats fill)
Course fee: $69.00 per person (HST applicable)
A NOTE ABOUT OUR COVID-19 PROTOCOLS:
We are thrilled to be able to offer in-person trainings in certain geographical areas! With this new territory comes a shift in our processes to ensure the safety of our participants and instructor team. We appreciate your patience and cooperation in following Public Health requirements. Registered participants will receive further details by email prior to their training session, but here are some things you should know before registering:
- Seating in the training room will be arranged to ensure 2 metre distancing.
- In effort to minimize contact between participants and venue staff, please note that coffee, tea, water and snacks will not be provided. Participants are asked to bring their own water and any other provisions.
- Due to limited accessibility during the pandemic, scented cleaning/sanitizing products may be used in the training space. If you have severe allergies to these types of products it is not recommended that you attend, as we cannot guarantee a scent-free enviornment at this time.
- Participants must use the hand sanitizing station at the entry to the training space. Hand sanitizer will be required when you arrive as well as any time you leave the training space and return (e.g. restroom/lunch break).
- NL sessions: Community (non-medical) face masks are mandatory in public spaces such as the venue's hallways, restroom, lobby, etc. Our trainings are considered private events (since pre-registration is required in order to attend) therefore masks are not required inside the training room. Masks will be used during brief group activities where the ability to ensure physical distancing may be compromised. You will be unable to enter into the training space without a mask.
- Participants will be required to read through a risk assessment upon arrival. Anyone deemed a risk for COVID-19 will not be admitted to the training room.
- Instructors will take down names and phone numbers upon entry to the training room to facilitate contact training should it be necessary.
- In the event that the province imposes changes to the present phase of the Zone's Recovery Plan, we may have to postpone the session with little notice. Please ensure that when you register you use an email address you have regular access to, and that you check your email before leaving home.
As with venturing in to any public space during the global pandemic, choosing to attend an in-person training does carry risk. We take every possible measure to minimize this risk, but please thoroughly consider your own comfort level and personal circumstances before deciding to register.
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: In order to receive a safeTALK certificate, attendees must be present for the duration of the course. Participants who miss more than 15 minutes of course content for any reason cannot make up missed time and will not be eligible for certification. It is important that all participants are aware of this requirement, as no exceptions will be made. This is a quality assurance measure put in place by LivingWorks Education, who regulate the safeTALK program.
TRYING TO REGISTER AT WORK? If you're attempting to complete your registration using a device and/or network issued by your organization there may be a firewall in place preventing our payment platform from functioning properly, resulting in a "Hmm, Something Went Wrong" message. If you run into this issue please try registering on a personal device using a personal network. Alternatively, we can issue you an electronic invoice which can be paid directly by credit card, but please note that we are unable to reserve seats without advance payment so you will not be guaranteed a seat until the invoice is issued and paid in full. To request an invoice, email us at email@example.com and let us know who to make out the invoice to, the email address where it should be sent, and session details (course type, dates, location and number of seats you’d like to reserve).
Click HERE to download the safeTALK information sheet.
safeTALK Suicide Alertness Training - Halifax, NS
- Notice given 10+ days prior to course – Full refund
- Notice given 7- 9 days prior to course – 50% refund
- Notice given less than 7 days prior to course start date/no advance notice given – NO REFUND
Outside of extenuating circumstances we are unable to make exceptions to our cancellation policy. If you opt to cancel your seat the cancellation policy will be enforced as described, and should you choose to enrol in a future training session no credit or discount will apply to the registration rate for that session.
In the event that circumstances beyond our control require us to cancel the session participants will be notified by email, at which time they may choose to receive a refund or to apply the registration fee to a future course.
By proceeding with registration, you are indicating your acknowledgement and agreement to the Cancellation Policy outlined above. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please ensure you have taken note of the date(s), time, location and all other details relevant to the session for which you've registered.
Once registration has been completed, you will receive a detailed receipt by email through our automated registration system at the email address you fill out in the "Email for order confirmation" box at checkout. Please check your junk/spam folder.
Participants will receive a reminder email a few days prior to the session.