Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the support provided to a person who may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis. This program is an ideal staff training, well suited to organizations aiming to improve employee engagement, reduce absenteeism and enjoy the many other benefits of a mentally healthy team. Having staff certified in MHFA yields a strong Return on Investment and is an integral component of the National Standard on Psychological Health & Safety in the Workplace, Canada's best practice guidelines. Course participants will learn how to recognize signs that a person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis and encourage that person to:
- Talk about declines in their mental well-being
- Discuss professional and other supports that could help with recovery to improved mental well-being
- Reach out to these supports
- Assist in a mental health or substance use crisis
- Use MHFA actions to maintain one’s own mental well-being
MHFA Standard is a highly interactive virtual adaptation of the Mental Health First Aid training program, and uses a blended learning model. This 9-hour course opens with a self-directed module (Module 1) that focuses on the information and strategies that participants will discuss and practice throughout the virtual classroom modules (Modules 2 & 3).
Module 1: Self-Directed
- Introduction to the course
- Introduction to MHFA actions
Module 2: Virtual Classroom
- Practice applying MHFA actions to situations of declining mental well-being
- Guidelines for MHFA conversations with people from diverse cultures and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community
Module 3: Virtual Classroom
- Discussion on using MHFA actions for self-care
- Practice using MHFA actions in crisis situations
Click HERE to download a detailed program description.
Mental Health First Aid Standard (9 hours)
Tuesday & Wednesday, January 30 & 31, 2024
12:00 - 3:30 PM both days *Eastern time zone*
Online via Zoom | Facilitator: Elizabeth Eldridge
Registration deadline: Wednesday, January 24 or when all 15 seats fill
Deadline to submit Proof of Completion of Module 1 to Arpeggio Health Services office: 48 hours before Zoom session
Course fee: $229.00 per person (HST applicable)
TIME ZONE CONVERSIONS: Participants from across Canada are welcome to register for this session.
12:00 - 3:30 PM Eastern time (Toronto)
= 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM Pacific time (Vancouver)
= 10:00 AM - 1:30 PM Mountain time (Edmonton)
= 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM Central time (Winnipeg)
= 1:00 - 4:30 PM Atlantic time (Halifax)
= 1:30 - 5:00 PM Newfoundland time (St. John's)
WHAT'S NEXT?: Participants will receive an email containing a unique enrolment code and instructions for completing Module 1 within 1-2 business days of registering. Proof of completion of Module 1 must be submitted to our office by 48 hours prior to the scheduled start time of the virtual classroom component. Module 1 is self-paced and takes most participants about 2 hours to complete. NOTE: It is the sole responsibility of the participant to complete Module 1 by the deadline. Materials will be sent to the email address you list when registering. If you do not receive your enrolment code and instructions for Module 1 within 2 business days of registering you must contact our office. Materials are always sent within this time frame but our office has no control over typos in the email address you submit, junk/spam settings on your email account, a firewall attached to your email account that prevents our message from being delivered, etc. It is the participant's responsibility to ensure they are in receipt of the Module 1 message. Our Refund/Credit Policy will apply in all instances.
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS: Please consider the following before registering as we are unable to refund registration fees in the event a participant is not equipped with the appropriate technology to complete this virtual session.
- Participants must have their own desktop or mobile device equipped with the Zoom platform -- attending with fellow participants on one device is not permitted
- If you're not already a Zoom user, you can download and install it in advance HERE and take a tutorial HERE
- Working camera and mic are required; participants must have camera turned on for the duration of the virtual classroom sessions
- Each participant must be able to provide their own unique email address
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: In order to acquire MHFA certification, participants must...
- Complete Module 1 (self-directed) and send proof of completion to email@example.com no later than 48 hours prior to the start of Module 2 (led by the facilitator in the virtual classroom); failure to do so will mean the participant may not attend Modules 2 & 3 and refunds/course credits cannot be issued
- Participate in the virtual classroom for the duration of both Modules 2 & 3, with a functional camera and mic
- Arrive on time for the virtual classroom sessions; participants who log in to the Zoom waiting room more than 10 minutes after the scheduled start time will not be authorized to join the session and refunds/course credits cannot be issued
These are quality assurance measures put in place by the Mental Health Commission of Canada, who own and regulate the MHFA program. No exceptions will be made.
TRAINING A GROUP / PAYING BY INVOICE: If your organization wishes to book a private training session for their team or pay for your seat by invoice, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mental Health First Aid Standard - Virtual Training
- If you are not confident in your ability to acquire and execute the technological requirements described in the session details, please DO NOT proceed with registration. We cannot issue refunds for a participant's inability to download/utilize the Zoom platform, acquire/utilize a working camera/mic, etc.
- Neither refunds nor any sort of credit can be issued for MHFA Standard training after a participant's unique enrolment code has been issued, which is typically within 1-2 business days of registering.
- It is the registrant's responsibility to check the time zone. We cannot provide refunds, credits or course transfers in instances where a registrant fails to do so.
- Your seat is reserved in the session you've signed up for; we cannot switch you to other course dates once you've registered.
- All participants are required to provide proof of completion of Module 1 by the deadline of 48 hours prior to the scheduled start time of Module 2; failure to do so disqualifies participants from attending Modules 2 and 3 in the virtual classroom, and neither refunds nor any sort of credit will be issued in such instances.
- Participants who attempt to log in to the virtual classroom more than 10 minutes after the scheduled start time will not be authorized to join the session; neither refunds nor any sort of credit will be issued in such instances.
We are unable to make exceptions to our Refund/Credit Policy and the points above will be enforced as described. Should you choose to enrol in a future training session no credit or discount will apply to the registration rate for that session.
In the event that circumstances beyond our control require us to cancel or postpone the session participants will be notified by email, at which time they may choose to receive a refund or to apply the registration fee to a future course.
By proceeding with registration, you are indicating your acknowledgement and agreement to the Refund/Credit Policy outlined above. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please ensure you have taken note of the dates and times (don't forget to check the time zone!) along with the deadline to submit proof of completion of Module 1.
Once your registration has been processed you will receive a detailed receipt by email through our automated system. Please check your junk/spam folder.
Within 1-2 business days participants will receive detailed instructions and their enrolment code to complete Module 1. PLEASE NOTE: the enrolment code, along with detailed instructions, will be sent to you at the email address you include in your registration. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure their email address is spelled correctly. If you do not get this essential email within 1-2 business days (don’t forget to check your junk/spam folder!) please contact our office at email@example.com. We have no control over firewalls on your email account that may be preventing our message from arriving. As noted, participants must send Proof of Completion to our office a minimum of 48 hours prior to the start time of their virtual classroom session.
Participants will receive Zoom login details to join the virtual classroom modules on the scheduled dates after submitting Proof of Completion of Module 1.