The Mental Health Commission of Canada reports that one in every five Canadians experiences a mental health or substance use problem within a given year. These problems can affect older adults in a unique way. While people often know a lot about physical illness, most people have less knowledge about mental health and substance use problems. This lack of understanding often leads to fear and negative attitudes towards those living with these problems. It can prevent people from seeking help for themselves and from providing appropriate support to people around them.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the help provided to a person who may
be experiencing a crisis or a decline in their mental well-being. The course is designed for people who have frequent contact with older adults; for example, family members, friends, public and private caregivers, community health workers, and volunteers.
Participants will learn how to:
recognize signs that an older adult may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a crisis
have conversations that encourage an older adult to:
- talk about declines in their mental well-being
- discuss professional and other supports that could help with recovery
- reach out to these supports
assist with helpful actions in a mental health or substance use crisis
use MHFA actions to maintain one’s own mental well-being
This highly interactive 10-hour course opens with a self-directed module (Module 1) that focuses on the information and strategies that participants will discuss and practice throughout the virtual classroom modules (Modules 2 and 3). Module 1 takes about 2 hours to complete while Modules 2 and 3 are 4 hours in length each.
Click HERE to download a detailed program description.
Mental Health First Aid: Supporting Older Adults (10 hours)
Monday & Tuesday, August 23 & 24, 2021
11:30 AM - 3:30 PM both days *Eastern time zone*
Online via Zoom | Facilitator: Elizabeth Eldridge
Registration deadline: Tuesday, August 17 or when all 15 seats fill (whichever comes first)
Deadline to submit Proof of Completion of Module 1 to Arpeggio Health Services office: Saturday, August 21 at 11:30 AM (Eastern time)
Course fee: $239.00 per person (HST applicable)
TIME ZONE CONVERSIONS: Participants from across Canada are welcome to register for this session.
11:30 AM - 3:30 PM Eastern time (Toronto)
= 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM Pacific time (Vancouver)
= 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM Mountain time (Edmonton)
= 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM Central time (Winnipeg)
= 12:30 - 4:30 PM Atlantic time (Halifax)
= 1:00 - 5:00 PM Newfoundland time (St. John's)
WHAT'S NEXT?: Participants will receive an email containing a unique access code and instructions for completing Module 1 within 1-2 business days of registering. Proof of completion of Module 1 must be submitted to our office by 48 hours prior to the scheduled start time of the virtual classroom component. Module 1 is self-paced and will take the average participant about 2 hours to complete. NOTE: It is the sole responsibility of the participant to complete Module 1 by the deadline. Materials will be sent to the email address you list when registering. If you have not received your access code and instructions for Module 1 within 2 business days of registering you must contact our office. Materials are always sent within this time frame but our office has no control over typos in the email address you submit, junk/spam settings on your email account, a firewall attached to your email account that prevents our message from being delivered, etc. It is the participant's responsibility to check junk/spam folders, and to contact us if they do not receive the Module 1 message. Our Refund/Credit Policy will apply in all instances.
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS: Please consider the following before registering as we are unable to refund registration fees in the event a participant is not equipped with the appropriate technology to complete this virtual session.
- Participants must have their own desktop or mobile device equipped with the Zoom platform -- attending with fellow participants on one device is not permitted
- If you're not already a Zoom user, you can download and install it in advance HERE and take a tutorial HERE
- Working camera and mic are required; participants must have camera turned on for the duration of the virtual classroom sessions
- Each participant must be able to provide their own unique email address
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: In order to acquire MHFA certification, participants must...
- Complete Module 1 (self-directed) and send proof of completion to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 48 hours prior to the start of Module 2 (led by the facilitator in the virtual classroom); failure to do so will mean the participant may not attend Modules 2 and 3 and refunds/course credits cannot be issued
- Participate in the virtual classroom for the duration of both Modules 2 and 3, with a functional camera and mic
- Arrive on time for the virtual classroom sessions; participants who log in to the Zoom waiting room more than 10 minutes after the scheduled start time will not be authorized to join the session and refunds/course credits cannot be issued
These are quality assurance measures put in place by the Mental Health Commission of Canada, who own and regulate the MHFA program. No exceptions will be made.
Mental Health First Aid: Supporting Older Adults - Virtual Training
- If you are not confident in your ability to acquire and execute the technological requirements described in the session details, please DO NOT proceed with registration. We cannot issue refunds for a participant's inability to download/utilize the Zoom platform, acquire/utilize a working camera/mic, etc.
- Neither refunds nor any sort of credit can be issued for MHFA Standard training after a participant's unique access code has been issued, which is typically within 1-2 business days of registering.
- It is the registrant's responsibility to check the time zone. We cannot provide refunds, credits or course transfers in instances where a registrant has failed to do so and later realizes the course is in a time zone that is inconvenient for them.
- Your seat is reserved in the session you've signed up for; we cannot switch you to other course dates once you've registered.
- All participants are required to provide proof of completion of Module 1 by the deadline of 48 hours prior to the scheduled start time of Module 2; failure to do so disqualifies participants from attending Modules 2 and 3 in the virtual classroom, and neither refunds nor any sort of credit will be issued in such instances.
- Participants who attempt to log in to the virtual classroom more than 10 minutes after the scheduled start time will not be authorized to join the session; neither refunds nor any sort of credit will be issued in such instances.
We are unable to make exceptions to our Refund/Credit Policy and the points above will be enforced as described. Should you choose to enrol in a future training session no credit or discount will apply to the registration rate for that session.
In the event that circumstances beyond our control require us to cancel the session participants will be notified by email, at which time they may choose to receive a refund or to apply the registration fee to a future course.
By proceeding with registration, you are indicating your acknowledgement and agreement to the Refund/Credit Policy outlined above. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please ensure you have taken note of the dates and times (don't forget to check the time zone!) along with the deadline to submit proof of completion of Module 1.
Once your registration has been processed you will receive a detailed receipt by email through our automated system. Please check your junk/spam folder.
Within 1-2 business days participants will receive detailed instructions and their access code to complete Module 1. PLEASE NOTE: the access code, along with detailed instructions, will be sent to you at the email address you include in your registration. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure their email address is spelled correctly. If you do not get this essential email within 1-2 business days (don’t forget to check your junk/spam folder!) please contact our office at email@example.com. We have no control over firewalls on your email account that may be preventing our message from arriving. As noted, participants must send Proof of Completion to our office a minimum of 48 hours prior to the start time of their virtual classroom session.
Participants will receive Zoom login details to join the virtual classroom modules on the scheduled dates after submitting Proof of Completion of Module 1.