Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the support provided to a person who may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis. Course participants will learn how to recognize signs that a person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis and encourage that person to:
- Talk about declines in their mental well-being
- Discuss professional and other supports that could help with recovery to improved mental well-being
- Reach out to these supports
- Assist in a mental health or substance use crisis
- Use MHFA actions to maintain one’s own mental well-being
MHFA Standard is a brand new, highly interactive virtual adaptation of the Mental Health First Aid training program, and uses a blended learning model. This 8-hour course opens with a self-directed module (Module 1) that focuses on the information and strategies that participants will discuss and practice throughout the virtual classroom modules (Modules 2 and 3).
Module 1: Self-Directed
- Introduction to the course
- Introduction to MHFA actions
Module 2: Virtual Classroom
- Practice applying MHFA actions to situations of declining mental well-being
- Guidelines for MHFA conversations with people from diverse cultures and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community
Module 3: Virtual Classroom
- Discussion on using MHFA actions for self-care
- Practice using MHFA actions in crisis situations
Mental Health First Aid Standard (8 hours)
Monday, May 3, 2021
8:00 AM - 3:00 PM with 60 minute lunch break *Eastern time zone*
Online via Zoom | Facilitator: Elizabeth Eldridge
Registration deadline: Tuesday, April 27 or when all 15 seats fill (whichever comes first)
Deadline to submit Proof of Completion of Module 1 to Arpeggio Health Services office: Saturday, May 1 at 8:00 AM (Eastern time)
Course fee: $219.00 per person (HST applicable)
TIME ZONE CONVERSIONS: Participants from across Canada are welcome to register for this session.
8:00 AM - 3:00 PM Eastern time (Toronto)
= 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM Pacific time (Vancouver)
= 6:00 AM - 1:00 PM Mountain time (Edmonton)
= 7:00 AM - 2:00 PM Central time (Winnipeg)
= 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Atlantic time (Halifax)
= 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM Newfoundland time (St. John's)
Within 1-2 business days after registering, participants will receive an email containing a unique access code allowing them to access Module 1 which must be completed by 48 hours prior to the scheduled start time of Module 2. Module 1 is self-paced and will take the average participant about 2 hours to complete. Contained therein is the MHFA Participant Reference Guide which can be accessed indefinitely but cannot be printed. Accompanying small group activity outlines and worksheets will be accessible on one's device and should be printed prior to the virtual classroom modules.
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS: Please consider the following before registering as we are unable to refund registration fees in the event a participant is not equipped with the appropriate technology to complete this virtual session. Click HERE for in-person training options.
- Participants must have their own desktop or mobile device equipped with the Zoom platform -- attending with fellow participants on one device is not permitted
- If you're not already a Zoom user, you can download and install it in advance HERE and take a tutorial HERE
- Working camera and mic are required; participants must have camera turned on for the duration of the virtual classroom sessions
- Each participant must be able to provide their own unique email address to register and for certificate processing
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Mental Health First Aid Canada is a certification-based course. In order to acquire certification, attendees must...
- Complete Module 1 (self-directed) and send proof of completion to email@example.com no later than 48 hours prior to the start of Module 2 (led by the facilitator in the virtual classroom); failure to do so will mean the participant may not attend Modules 2 and 3 and refunds/course credits will not be issued in these instances
- Be present in the virtual classroom for the duration of both Modules 2 and 3, with a functional camera and mic
- Participate in group discussion and small group work in the virtual classroom
- Arrive on time for the virtual classroom sessions; participants who log in to the Zoom waiting room more than 10 minutes after the scheduled start time will not be authorized to join the session and refunds/course credits will not be issued in these instances
These are quality assurance measures put in place by the Mental Health Commission of Canada, who own and regulate the MHFA program. No exceptions will be made.
TRAINING A GROUP / PAYING BY INVOICE: If your organization wishes to train their team, contact us for a quote on arranging a private session. Prefer to be invoiced for your seat? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know who to make out the invoice to, the email address where it should be sent, and session details (course type, dates and number of seats you’d like to reserve).
Click HERE to download a detailed program description.
Mental Health First Aid Standard - Virtual Training
- If you are not confident in your ability to acquire and execute the technological requirements described in the session details, please DO NOT proceed with registration. We cannot issue refunds for a participant's inability to download/utilize the Zoom platform, acquire/utilize a working camera/mic, etc.
- Neither refunds nor any sort of credit can be issued for MHFA Standard training after a participant's unique access code has been issued, which is typically within 1-2 business days of registering.
- It is the registrant's responsibility to check the time zone. We cannot provide refunds, credits or course transfers in instances where a registrant has failed to do so and later realizes the course is in a time zone that is inconvenient for them.
- Your seat is reserved in the session you've signed up for; we cannot switch you to other course dates once you've registered.
- All participants are required to provide proof of completion of Module 1 by the deadline of 48 hours prior to the scheduled start time of Module 2; failure to do so disqualifies participants from attending Modules 2 and 3 in the virtual classroom, and neither refunds nor any sort of credit will be issued in such instances.
- Participants who attempt to log in to the virtual classroom more than 10 minutes after the scheduled start time will not be authorized to join the session; neither refunds nor any sort of credit will be issued in such instances.
We are unable to make exceptions to our Refund/Credit Policy and the points above will be enforced as described. Should you choose to enrol in a future training session no credit or discount will apply to the registration rate for that session.
In the event that circumstances beyond our control require us to cancel the session participants will be notified by email, at which time they may choose to receive a refund or to apply the registration fee to a future course.
By proceeding with registration, you are indicating your acknowledgement and agreement to the Refund/Credit Policy outlined above. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please ensure you have taken note of the dates and times (don't forget to check the time zone!) along with the deadline to submit proof of completion of Module 1.
Once your registration has been processed you will receive a detailed receipt by email through our automated system. Please check your junk/spam folder.
Within 1-2 business days participants will receive detailed instructions and their access code to complete Module 1. PLEASE NOTE: the access code, along with detailed instructions, will be sent to you at the email address you include in your registration. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure their email address is spelled correctly. If you do not get this essential email within 1-2 business days (don’t forget to check your junk/spam folder!) please contact our office at email@example.com. We have no control over firewalls on your email account that may be preventing our message from arriving. As noted, participants must send Proof of Completion to our office a minimum of 48 hours prior to the start time of their virtual classroom session.
Participants will receive Zoom login details to join the virtual classroom modules on the scheduled dates after submitting Proof of Completion of Module 1.