Mental Health First Aid Basic Training is an evidence-based program of the Mental Health Commission of Canada. This course aims to improve mental health literacy and teaches participants how to recognize early warning signs that a friend, family member or colleague may be struggling with a mental health issue, as well as intervention strategies for mental health crisis situations. Practical skills are taught in a supportive group learning environment using a model that is easy to remember and apply in real-life settings.
Topics include the four most common mental illnesses: substance-related, mood, anxiety and trauma-related and psychotic disorders. Participants who take this course are well prepared to interact confidently about mental health with their family, friends, communities and workplaces.
This training meets best practice guidelines set forth in the CSA National Standard of Canada on Psychological Health & Safety in the Workplace, teaching participants invaluable skills to address mental health confidently, sensitively and effectively in their workplaces and beyond.
Mental Health First Aid Basic Training (12 hours)
Wednesday & Thursday, August 26 & 27, 2020
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. both days
Days Inn | Salon A & B
2515 Mountain Road | Moncton, NB
Instructor: Linda Maher
Registration deadline: Friday, August 21 at 5:00 p.m. (earlier if all 20 seats fill)
Course fee: $209.00 per person (HST applicable)
A NOTE ABOUT OUR COVID-19 PROTOCOLS:
After a several month hiatus from in-person trainings due to the global pandemic, we are absolutely thrilled to be able to offer live training sessions once again in certain geographical areas! With this new territory comes a shift in our processes to ensure the safety of our participants and instructor team. We appreciate your patience and cooperation in following Public Health requirements. Registered participants will receive further details by email prior to their training session, but here are some things you should know before registering:
- Seating in the training room will be arranged to ensure physical distancing.
- In effort to minimize contact between participants and venue staff, please note that coffee, tea, water and snacks for breaktimes will not be provided. Participants are asked to bring their own water and any food provisions they will need for the two days. Due to extended wait times at local restaurants, bringing a bagged lunch from home is encouraged as well.
- Participants must use the hand sanitizing station at the entry to the training space. Hand sanitizer will be required when you arrive as well as any time you leave the training space a return (e.g. restroom/lunch break).
- Participants will be required to bring their own community (non-medical) face mask for use during brief group activities where the ability to ensure physical distancing may be compromised. You will be unable to enter into the training space without a mask.
- Participants will be required to read through a risk assessment upon arrival on both mornings. Anyone deemed a risk for COVID-19 (including experiencing symptoms, exposure to anyone who has tested positive, travel to another province/country/high-risk zone) will not be admitted to the training room.
- Due to the new Public Health requirements and the unpredictability of our circumstances, our regular cancellation policy will not apply. Participants who cancel with more than 7 days' notice will receive a full refund. For cancellations with less than 7 days' notice we will gladly apply your registration fee as a credit toward any future session with us.
- In the event that the province imposes changes to the present phase of the region's Recovery Plan, we may have to postpone the session with little notice. Please ensure that with you register you use an email address you have regular access to, and that you check your email before leaving home on both mornings of the training.
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Mental Health First Aid Canada is a certification-based course. In order to acquire certification, attendees must participate in the course's activities and group discussion, and must be present for the duration of the course. Participants who miss more than 15 minutes of course content for any reason during the two days cannot make up missed time and will not be eligible for certification. It is important that all participants are aware of this requirement, as no exceptions will be made. This is a quality assurance measure put in place by the Mental Health Commission of Canada, who regulate the MHFA program. In the event of the cancellation of Day 2 due to changes in the region's Recovery Plan phase, we will reschedule the second day. The Mental Health Commission requires that Day 2 takes place within 4 weeks of Day 1.
TRYING TO REGISTER AT WORK? If you're attempting to complete your registration using a device and/or network issued by your organization there may be a firewall in place preventing our payment platform from functioning properly, resulting in a "Hmm, Something Went Wrong" message. If you run into this issue please try registering on a personal device using a personal network. Alternatively, we can issue you an electronic invoice which can be paid directly by credit card, but please note that we are unable to reserve seats without advance payment so you will not be guaranteed a seat until the invoice is issued and paid in full. To request an invoice, please email us at email@example.com and let us know who to make out the invoice to, the email address where it should be sent, and the details of the session you’d like to register for including course type, dates and location as well as the number of seats you’d like to reserve.
Click HERE to download detailed program descriptions and course outlines.
Mental Health First Aid Basic Training - Moncton, NB
Due to the new Public Health requirements and the unpredictability of our circumstances during the pandemic, our regular cancellation policy will not apply. Participants who cancel with more than 7 days' notice will receive a full refund. For cancellations with less than 7 days' notice given we will apply your registration fee as a credit toward any future session with us.
In the event that we have to cancel this session due to changes in the province's guidelines, participants will be notified of the cancellation via email at address you indicate in the "Participant's Email Address" box on the registration page. Please understand that due to circumstances beyond are control we may be required to cancel the session with little notice.
By proceeding with registration, you are indicating your acknowledgement and agreement to the Cancellation Policy outlined above.
Please ensure you have taken note of the date(s), time, location and all other details relevant to the session for which you've registered.
Once registration has been completed, you will receive a detailed receipt by email through our automated registration system at the email address you fill out in the "Email for order confirmation" box at checkout. Please check your junk/spam folder.
Participants will receive a reminder email a few days prior to the session.