Mental Health First Aid Basic Training is an evidence-based program of the Mental Health Commission of Canada. This course aims to improve mental health literacy and teaches participants how to recognize early warning signs that a friend, family member or colleague may be struggling with a mental health issue, as well as intervention strategies for mental health crisis situations. Practical skills are taught in a supportive group learning environment using a model that is easy to remember and apply in real-life settings.
Topics include the four most common mental illnesses: substance-related, mood, anxiety and trauma-related and psychotic disorders. Participants who take this course are well prepared to interact confidently about mental health with their family, friends, communities and workplaces.
This training meets best practice guidelines set forth in the CSA National Standard of Canada on Psychological Health & Safety in the Workplace, teaching participants invaluable skills to address mental health confidently, sensitively and effectively in their workplaces and beyond.
Mental Health First Aid Basic Training (12 hours)
Wednesday & Thursday, November 18 & 19, 2020
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. both days (60 min. lunch break)
Fredericton Inn | Meeting Room # TBC
1315 Regent Street | Fredericton, NB
Instructor: Linda Maher
Registration deadline: Friday, November 13 at 5:00 p.m. (earlier if all 25 seats fill)
Course fee: $209.00 per person (HST applicable)
A NOTE ABOUT OUR COVID-19 PROTOCOLS:
We are thrilled to be able to offer in-person trainings in certain geographical areas! With this new territory comes a shift in our processes to ensure the safety of our participants and instructor team. We appreciate your patience and cooperation in following Public Health requirements. Registered participants will receive further details by email prior to their training session, but here are some things you should know before registering:
- Seating in the training room will be arranged to ensure 2 metre distancing.
- In effort to minimize contact between participants and venue staff, please note that coffee, tea, water and snacks will not be provided. Participants are asked to bring their own water and any other provisions.
- Due to limited accessibility during the pandemic, scented cleaning/sanitizing products may be used in the training space. If you have severe allergies to these types of products it is not recommended that you attend, as we cannot guarantee a scent-free enviornment at this time.
- Participants must use the hand sanitizing station at the entry to the training space. Hand sanitizer will be required when you arrive as well as any time you leave the training space and return (e.g. restroom/lunch break).
- NB sessions: Community (non-medical) face masks are mandatory in public spaces such as the venue's hallways, restroom, lobby, etc. Our trainings are considered private events (since pre-registration is required in order to attend) therefore masks are not required inside the training room. Masks will be used during brief group activities where the ability to ensure physical distancing may be compromised. You will be unable to enter into the training space without a mask.
- Participants will be required to read through a risk assessment upon arrival. Anyone deemed a risk for COVID-19 will not be admitted to the training room.
- Instructors will take down names and phone numbers upon entry to the training room to facilitate contact training should it be necessary.
- In the event that the province imposes changes to the present phase of the Zone's Recovery Plan, we may have to postpone the session with little notice. Please ensure that when you register you use an email address you have regular access to, and that you check your email before leaving home.
As with venturing in to any public space during the global pandemic, choosing to attend an in-person training does carry risk. We take every possible measure to minimize this risk, but please thoroughly consider your own comfort level and personal circumstances before deciding to register.
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Mental Health First Aid Canada is a certification-based course. In order to acquire certification, attendees must participate in the course's activities and group discussion, and must be present for the duration of the course. Participants who miss more than 15 minutes of course content for any reason during the two days cannot make up missed time and will not be eligible for certification. It is important that all participants are aware of this requirement, as no exceptions will be made. This is a quality assurance measure put in place by the Mental Health Commission of Canada, who regulate the MHFA program. In the event of the cancellation of Day 2 due to changes in the region's Recovery Plan phase, we will reschedule the second day. The Mental Health Commission requires that Day 2 takes place within 4 weeks of Day 1.
TRYING TO REGISTER AT WORK? If you're attempting to complete your registration using a device and/or network issued by your organization there may be a firewall in place preventing our payment platform from functioning properly, resulting in a "Hmm, Something Went Wrong" message. If you run into this issue please try registering on a personal device using a personal network. Alternatively, we can issue you an electronic invoice which can be paid directly by credit card, but please note that we are unable to reserve seats without advance payment so you will not be guaranteed a seat until the invoice is issued and paid in full. To request an invoice, email us at email@example.com and let us know who to make out the invoice to, the email address where it should be sent, and session details (course type, dates, location and number of seats you’d like to reserve).
Click HERE to download detailed program descriptions and course outlines.
Mental Health First Aid Basic Training - Fredericton, NB
- Notice given 10+ days prior to course – Full refund
- Notice given 7- 9 days prior to course – 50% refund
- Notice given less than 7 days prior to course start date/no advance notice given – NO REFUND
Outside of extenuating circumstances we are unable to make exceptions to our cancellation policy. If you opt to cancel your seat the cancellation policy will be enforced as described, and should you choose to enrol in a future training session no credit or discount will apply to the registration rate for that session.
In the event that circumstances beyond our control require us to cancel the session participants will be notified by email, at which time they may choose to receive a refund or to apply the registration fee to a future course.
By proceeding with registration, you are indicating your acknowledgement and agreement to the Cancellation Policy outlined above. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please ensure you have taken note of the date(s), time, location and all other details relevant to the session for which you've registered.
Once registration has been processed you will receive a detailed receipt by email through our automated registration system at the email address you fill out in the "Email for order confirmation" box at checkout. Please check your junk/spam folder.
Participants will receive a reminder email a few days prior to the session.